Building the Ultimate Shopping Cart Experience [Case Study]
One Way Furniture is a leading online furniture superstore. With 2010 online sales exceeding $16 million, the company itself is an Inc. 500 Top 50 Retailer and an Internet Retailer Top 500 online merchant.
Despite having robust traffic volume, compelling value propositions, and marketplace credibility, One Way Furniture found itself in need of a solution that would effectively and efficiently address unacceptable shopping cart abandonment rates.
Prior efforts taken to address a checkout bottleneck involved soliciting advice from “the experts” – all of whom ultimately left the shopping cart page overwhelmed by elements that ranged from security and payment method badges to client recommendations and cross-promotions.
When the first tedious attempts at testing individual elements to identify causal factors failed to yield results, One Way Furniture turned to an adaptive optimization strategy.
One Way Furniture wanted to explore the following page elements:
- Main Navigation: How necessary is the navigation? How can the navigation be improved usher visitors through the checkout funnel?
- Badges: What location(s) are most appropriate for badges? Which badges should be included?
- Left Navigation: How necessary are badges in this pane? What are the effects of adding cross-promotional links?
- List of Guarantees: What is the impact of guarantees as positioned in the shopping cart during the checkout process?
- Client Testimonials: How influential are client testimonials on purchase decisions?
- Action Buttons: How do different button styles, colors, shapes, and positions affect conversions?
HiConversion delivered a range of page combinations to One Way Furniture’s visitors. In just 3 days, the platform achieved statistical consistency and started making money, leading to an overall conversion lift of 18.19% over the course of the 30-day optimization program.
- Top page combinations outperformed the baseline by 23.82% to 45.07%
- The cumulative increase in conversion rate was 18.19%
After a brief 2–day training period, One Way Furniture consistently produced a lift in conversion–even as it was still searching for the top-performing page combinations. As a result, One Way Furniture’s revenue stream was never placed at risk and ROI was ensured.
One Way Furniture leveraged HiConversion’s adaptive engine and services to explore a total of 192 page variations in just 30 days, with real revenue lifts occurring after just 3 days into the campaign. The final result was an impressive 18.19% lift.
Unlike competing A/B and multivariate testing solutions, HiConversion uses a patented self-learning algorithm to product revenue lifts in real time, without an IT team, and without the risks associated with presenting poor-performing elements or combinations to potential customers.